UTOMATIC FWD MODELS REMOVAL:
1) Remove battery and battery tray. On 3000GT, remove undercover(s). On Eclipse turbo, drain and remove intercooler. On all models, remove air cleaner and case. Raise and support vehicle. Remove wheels. Disconnect control cables at transaxle. Drain transaxle fluid.
2) On Mirage 1.6L, disconnect tension rod. On all models, disconnect neutral safety switch connector, oil cooler hoses and electrical connectors from transaxle. Disconnect speedometer cable and throttle control cable (if equipped). Remove starter motor.
3) On Galant models with electronically controlled suspension, remove air compressor and bracket. Disconnect front height sensor rod at lower control arm.
4) On all models, remove upper transaxle-to-engine bolts. Remove engine undercover (if equipped). On all models, remove drive axle shafts. See FWD AXLE SHAFTS article in DRIVE AXLES. Separate lower control arms from struts for access to axle shafts (if necessary).
5) Remove front exhaust pipe (if necessary). On Eclipse 4WD, Galant 4WD and 3000GT, remove right member and gusset. On 4WD models, separate transfer assembly from transaxle. Reference mark transfer assembly-to-drive shaft and remove transfer assembly.
6) On all models, remove transmission inspection (dust) cover. Place index mark on torque converter and drive plate for reassembly reference. Remove torque converter-to-drive plate bolts. Push torque converter away from engine into transaxle.
7) Support transaxle with jack. Remove transaxle mounts bolts, mounting brackets and remaining transaxle-to-engine bolts. Slide transaxle assembly to right and lower to remove.
CAUTION: Ensure torque converter is fully seated in transaxle before installation. Always install new snap rings on inner constant velocity joints.
1) To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten transaxle-to-engine bolts and torque converter-to-drive plate bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table at end of article.
2) Ensure reference marks on torque converter-to-drive plate and transfer assembly-to-drive shaft align. Tighten mounting bolts with weight of engine and transaxle on mounts. Refill transaxle fluid to specified level. Adjust all control cables.