1. Release fuel pressure. See FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE. Drain coolant from radiator and cylinder block. Drain engine oil. Disconnect all necessary coolant hoses, electrical connectors, vacuum hoses, fuel lines and control cables.
2. Remove front exhaust pipe. Remove air injection valve pipe. Remove intake air duct. Remove radiator fan and shroud. On Frontier and Xterra, remove exhaust manifold. See EXHAUST MANIFOLD. On all models, remove injectors and fuel rail as an assembly. Remove distributor cap and spark plugs.
3. Set cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke, ensuring marks on crankshaft pulley and front cover align, and distributor rotor points to spark plug wire No. 1 on cap. Remove cylinder head cover. Remove distributor.
4. Prevent camshafts from turning, and remove camshaft sprocket bolts. Remove camshaft sprocket. Mark and remove camshaft bearing caps in reverse order of installation. See Fig. 17. Remove camshafts.
5. Loosen cylinder head bolts in 2 or 3 steps, in reverse order of tightening sequence. See Fig. 11. Remove camshaft sprocket cover. Remove outer (upper) chain tensioner and guide. Remove outer timing chain.
NOTE: If cylinder head is being removed and lower timing chain is not being replaced, install a chain support tool to prevent lower timing chain tensioner from expanding. See Fig. 13.
6. Remove idler sprocket bolt. Remove cylinder head. Remove oil pan and oil strainer. See OIL PAN. Remove accessory drive belts. Remove A/C compressor idler pulley (if equipped). Remove crankshaft pulley. Remove front cover. Remove chain tensioner, tensioner arm and chain guides. Remove inner (lower) timing chain and idler sprocket. Remove oil pump drive spacer and crankshaft sprocket.
2000 Nissan Altima SE Timing Belt Installation
December 18th, 2010 · No Comments
Related Tags: air injection, block drain, camshafts, chain tensioner, compression stroke, control cables, crankshaft pulley, cylinder block, cylinder head bolts, distributor cap, drain coolant, drive belts, exhaust manifold, fuel pressure, fuel rail, injection valve, nissan altima, radiator fan, timing chain, vacuum hoses