Removal (3.8L – VIN K)
1. Release fuel system pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE . Clean the fuel rail assembly and connections. Disconnect the fuel feed pipe and return pipe at the fuel rail. See FUEL LINE DISCONNECT FITTINGS.
2. Disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. Remove the ignition coil wires. Disconnect the 6 injector electrical connectors. Remove the fuel rail hold-down bolts. Remove the fuel rail with equal force on both sides of the fuel rail.
3. To remove injector(s) from the fuel rail, remove the fuel injector retainer clip. Remove the fuel injector from the fuel rail. Remove and discard the fuel injector upper “O” ring.
WARNING: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury that may result from a fuel leak, always install the fuel injector “O” rings in the proper position. If the upper and lower “O” rings are different colors (Black and Brown), be sure to install the Black “O” ring in the upper position and the Brown “O” ring in the lower position on the fuel injector. The “O” rings are the same size but are made of different materials.
1. Lubricate the new injector upper “O” ring seal with clean engine oil. Install the new injector “O” ring seal on the injector. Install retainer clip on the injector. Push the fuel injector into the fuel rail injector socket with the electrical connector facing outward. The retainer clip locks on to a flange on the fuel rail injector socket.
2. “O” rings must be replaced on all components that are serviced. Lightly oil the fuel injector “O” rings with clean engine oil. Place the fuel rail assembly on the intake manifold. Seat the fuel injectors by hand. Install the fuel rail hold-down bolts.
3. Tighten the fuel rail hold-down bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Connect the 6 fuel injector electrical connectors. Connect the fuel feed and return pipes to the fuel rail tubes. Connect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Install the ignition coil wires.
4. Tighten the fuel fill cap. Connect the negative battery cable. Perform the following procedure in order to inspect for leaks. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds. Turn ON the ignition. Inspect for fuel leaks. Install the fuel injection sight shield.