1. Turn the ignition key OFF. Put transmission in Park (automatic) or Reverse (manual).
2. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels. Raise the front end and support it on 2 jack stands.
Remove Automatic Hubs: Dana 30, 44, and 50 Axle (figure 1)
Remove ALL automatic hub components starting with the Torx head capscrews. Remove the flat snap-ring, hublock body assembly, axle retaining ring (SAVE), three-piece thrust washer set (SAVE), cam assembly, lockring key (use a small pick to find and remove), and wheel retainer.
Dana 60 Axle (figure 2)
Remove ALL automatic hub components starting with the Torx head capscrews. Remove the flat snap-ring, hublock body assembly, cam assembly, lockring key (use a small pick to find and remove), and wheel retainer. Some Dana 60 axle configurations are similar to Dana 50 axles.
Dana 28 and 35 (figure 3)
1. Remove the tire and wheel.
2. Remove ALL automatic hub components starting with the hublock body assembly, retaining ring, three-piece thrust washer set, cam assembly, lock key (use a small pick to find and remove), and wheel retainer. Note: Some thrust washer sets include a needle thrust bearing.
Install Manual Hub Spindle Nut Conversion Kit: (figure 4)
1. Install the inner bearing nut and torque the nut to 35 ft-lb (Dana 28 and 35) or 50 ft-lb (all others) while rotating the front disc brake hub back and forth to seat the bearing. NOTE: The inner nut has a pin or post protruding on one side. The pin is used to index into the lockwasher.
2. Back the inner bearing nut off 90 degrees.
3. Install the lockwasher so the key is positioned in the groove of the front spindle. Tighten the inner bearing nut, aligning the pin into the nearest lockwasher hole. Note: The lockwasher hole pattern is offset with the keyway to provide half-position setting by flipping the washer over to obtain closest hole.
4. Install the outer bearing nut and tighten to 85 to 135 ft-lb (Dana 28 and 35) or 160 to 205 ft-lb (all others) using the spanner locknut wrench.
5. After installing the new spindle nuts, install the factory three-piece thrust washer set per Figure 1 or 3 depending on axle type. After installing the three-piece thrust washer set onto the axle shaft, re-install the factory axle retaining ring into the groove on the axle shaft.
Spindle Nut Kit Installation Instructions
September 8th, 2010 · No Comments
Related Tags: axles, bearing note, body assembly, cam assembly, conversion kit, dana 60 axle, disc brake, ft lb, hole pattern, keyway, lockwasher, manual hub, preparation 1, rear wheels, retainer, retaining ring, snap ring, spindle nut, thrust bearing, thrust washer